Friday, November 30, 2012


  N36   Corruption

Many people know corruption is bad , but at present many countries cannot be free from it though many are fighting to eliminate it. Most of the corrupt states are those which are underdeveloped. Because they are underdeveloped the countries are poor, with people who doesn’t have anything wanting to have something , the better people wanting to get rich, and the well off people wanting to get richer. Many cannot quench their thirst for wealth.
 So people uses their power , their rights to have access to money. eg: A high official uses his power to acquire a big sum of money through a licence  (which  ordinary people cannot get ) But to get this licence he has to bribe higher officials and thus make them to become partners sharing the benefits from the licence. Not only big officials are corrupt but also people in different positions also uses the rights they have to get money. eg: A gatekeeper in a hospital won’t allow a guest to enter after a few minutes of visiting time. But one can enter if he or she gives him a few hundred kyats. Also by giving this amount of money one can get the priority of seeing a doctor first when visiting a clinic.

Our country is included in the worst corrupted countries. With bribery everything unlawful can be done in our country. With the commencing of a new democratic government the president promised the people that he will lead a clean government with good governance. but until today corruption is still existing.

Because of corruption the lives of the people are hard  and inconvenient. I think the outcome is that the  country does not get the advantages it deserves from its resources which are badly needed for it’s development.
To eliminate corruption the people who have powers and rights should do their works in a straight and honest way, and also the people should not give bribes  in exchange for something or services they need.

But it is more hard to do than say. I will relate my experience as an example. Only a few days ago I need internet connection for my new phone. If I go and apply for it at the post officeI will have to pay 10000 kyats legally and it will take 3 days to get my phone installed.  Some said that if I pay 5000 kyats extra I can have it done within the day. So as I cannot wait for 3 days I went to the post office and paid 15000 kyats . They said I can use the internet at 6 pm. So the 5000 kyats (whether it be bribery or pocket money for the office people  )  made me get what I want without having to wait for days.

So , in this case who is the culprit, the briber or the receiver …..that corruption cannot come to it’s end.





No comments:

Post a Comment